Project Communications Management
In todays dynamically changing business environment projects are initiated under tighter budgetary, resource and time constraints than ever before. This seminar focuses on the core project communications management skills, as presented in the PMBOK® Guide, 4th Edition, that are required to manage a project. The program will provide the attendees with proven "real life" tools and techniques, and put into context through various exercises and scenarios and case studies.
- Instructor-led, group-paced, classroom-delivery learning model with structured minds-on and hands-on activities.
This course is intended for both project team members and project managers wishing to gain a fluent working knowledge of commonly accepted best practices for planning and implementing project communications. Team members and managers looking to improve their communication skills and looking to improve their understanding of how on-going communications planning and implementation can foster project success should take this course. Students on a track to take the PMP examination should take this course.
To ensure your success, we recommend you have taken a foundation course in project management or have strong working knowledge or experience in project communication.
Students will learn how to use communications management techniques to plan, organize, control, document, and improve their project communications.
- Discuss the processes of Project Communications Management and a project manager's role in it.
- Discuss the Identify Stakeholder and Stakeholder Analysis processes.
- List and discuss challenges to effective communication and how to deal with these challenges.
- Discuss key elements of project management communications and reporting.
- List and discuss elements of a Communications Management Plan.
- Discuss techniques for distributing project information.
- Learn how to Report Performance to track a projects progress and report on any variances.
- Discuss techniques for managing the expectations of project stakeholders.
- Discuss project closure activities.
- Learn effective communication tools and techniques that can be applied to a project environment.
Module 1 Introduction
- Session Overview
- Exercise Project Communication Problems
Module 2 Communication Challenges
- Project Communications Management
- PMBOK® Guide Processes
- Exercise T-Exercise
- Communication Concerns
- The Dimensions of Communication
Module 3 Identify Stakeholders
The Triple Constraint
- Stakeholder Analysis
- Exercise Identify Project Stakeholders
- Identifying Stakeholder Impact and Interests
- Exercise Stakeholders 2 x 2 Matrix
- Stakeholder Management Strategy
Module 4 Planning Project Communications
- Project Subsidiary Management Plans
- Plan Communications
- Communication Planning Factors
- Communication Channels
- Communication Media
- Project Communication Requirements Analysis
- Project Communications Management Plan Components
- Communication Planning Table
- Exercise Create a Communications Planning Matrix for a project
- Performance Measurement Baselines
- Calculating Variance
Module 5 Distribute Information
- Information Distribution Tools and Techniques
- Information Distribution Methods
- Exercise Recommended/Not Recommended practices for communications tools
- Lessons Learned
- Exercise Determine variances
Module 6 Manage Stakeholder Expectations
- Tools & Techniques
- Management Skills
- Business Writing
- Issues Management
- Issues Management Plans
- Process Flow for Issues Management
- Tools and Best Practices for Issues Management
Module 7 Report Performance
- Earned Value
- Calculating Earned Value
- Using EVMS to Forecast
- Exercise Earned Value Calculations
- Types of Reports
- Perform Integrated Change Control
- Exercise Performance Reporting and Corrective Actions
Module 8 Project Closure
- Closing Processes
- Close Project or Phase process
- Discussion What happens at project closure?
- Closure Administrative
- Closure Archive
- Project Records
- Lessons Learned
- Course Summary
- Course Review
- Appendix Communication Tools and Techniques
A printed copy of the student manual will be distributed to the participants.